What is the Water Quality in Eastvale, California?
Compared to other US cities over 50,000, Eastvale water quality ranks in the high range for contamination excluding Lead.
Most of their 38 contaminants have cancer-causing attributes.
- PFOA is at extremely high levels: 437x health guidelines.
Let’s look closer at what’s in Eastvale water.
What’s in Eastvale water?
Here are the top 6 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Bromodichloromethane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Chloroform – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) – Potential effect: Cancer
- PFOA – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
These are six of the 38 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
12 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
Does Eastvale have Lead contamination?
No, Eastvale does not currently have lead in its water. The most recent Lead samples collected in 2019 showed concentrations of 0.0 parts per billion.
The legal limit for lead is 15 parts per billion. Being well-below this level is a good thing.
Concentrations between 3.8 ppb and 15 ppb put a formula-fed baby at risk of elevated blood lead levels. Read more about the symptoms of Lead in water.
There is no safe level of lead for humans.
The good news is that 99.99% of the lead can be filtered out.
See the What Can You Do? section below to learn how to filter out contaminants.
Where does Eastvale’s water come from?
Eastvale’s water comes from the Lower Cucamonga Creek watershed.
Both water sources in the Lower Cucamonga Creek watershed are in Impaired condition. These are:
- Cucamonga Creek Reach 1
- Prado Basin Management Zone
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition.
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of three uses:
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Eastvale’s water.
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality in Eastvale can be surprising.
But there are things you can do in your home to clean up your water.
To Remove Lead and Other Contaminants In Your Home:
There is one solution that beats Brita, PUR, and expensive whole house systems.
- It costs less per gallon.
- Needs fewer filter changes.
- And it doesn’t make your water taste weird.
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out at least 88.2% of contaminants in your drinking water. (Berkey Light and Travel Berkey are the only types available in California.)
- To filter out 33 of the 38 contaminants in your whole house, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your home.
- These are more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but can be more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- 1,4-Dioxane – irritant of the eyes and respiratory tract. “Exposure may cause damage to the central nervous system, liver and kidneys.”
- Haloacetic acids – byproduct of chlorination*
- Hexavalent chromium
- Total trihalomethanes – byproduct of chlorination*
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: https://www.eastvaleca.gov/ to find contact information for your local officials.