What is the Water Quality in Novi, Michigan?
Compared to other US cities, Novi water quality ranks in the lower range for contamination excluding Lead.
Most of their 13 contaminants have cancer-causing attributes.
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) are at extremely high levels: 145x health guidelines.
- Haloacetic acids (HAA9) are at extremely high levels: 343x health guidelines.
- HAA5 and HAA9 are byproducts of chlorine treatment, a common method of disinfecting water supplies.
Let’s look closer at what’s in Novi water.
What’s in Novi water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids (HAA9) – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Radium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
These are three of the 13 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
6 of the total contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
Does Novi have Lead contamination?
Yes, Novi has lead in its water. The most recent Lead samples collected from 2015 through 2017 showed concentrations up to 0.6 parts per billion (ppb).
The legal limit for lead is 15 parts per billion. Being well-below this level is a good thing.
- Concentrations between 3.8 ppb and 15 ppb put a formula-fed baby at risk of elevated blood lead levels. Read more about the symptoms of Lead in water.
There is no safe level of lead for humans.
- The good news is that 99.99% of the lead can be filtered out.
See the What Can You Do? section below to learn how to filter out contaminants.
Where does Novi’s water come from?
Novi’s water comes from the Newburgh Lake – Middle River Rouge watershed.
5 of the 6 water sources in the Newburgh Lake – Middle River Rouge watershed are in Impaired or Unknown condition. These include:
- Multiple not formally named rivers and streams
- Walled Lake
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition.
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of three uses:
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Novi’s water.
What Can You Do?
Information about water quality in Novi can be surprising.
But there are things you can do in your home to clean up your water.
To Remove Lead and Other Contaminants In Your Home:
There is one solution that beats Brita, PUR, and expensive whole house systems.
- It costs less per gallon.
- Needs fewer filter changes.
- And it doesn’t make your water taste weird.
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out 75% of contaminants in your drinking water.
- To filter out 12 of the 13 contaminants, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your house.
- These are more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but are more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: https://www.cityofnovi.org/Government.aspx to find contact information for your local officials.