What is the Water Quality in Yucaipa, California?
Compared to other US cities, Yucaipa water quality ranks in the high range for contamination excluding Lead.
Most of their 30 contaminants have cancer-causing attributes.
- Arsenic is at extremely high levels: 214x health guidelines.
Let’s look closer at what’s in Yucaipa water.
What’s in Yucaipa water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Arsenic – Potential effect: Cancer
- Bromodichloromethane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Chloroform – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 30 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
15 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
Does Yucaipa have Lead contamination?
No, Yucaipa does not currently have lead in its water. The most recent Lead samples collected from 2015 through 2017 showed concentrations of 0.0 parts per billion (ppb).
The legal limit for lead is 15 parts per billion. Being well-below this level is a good thing.
Concentrations between 3.8 ppb and 15 ppb put a formula-fed baby at risk of elevated blood lead levels. Read more about the symptoms of Lead in water.
There is no safe level of lead for humans.
The good news is that 99.99% of the lead can be filtered out.
See the What Can You Do? section below to learn how to filter out contaminants.
Where does Yucaipa’s water come from?
Yucaipa’s water comes from the Yucaipa Creek watershed.
There are no Known water sources in the Yucaipa Creek watershed.
Ideally, a water source would be Known and rated in Good condition.
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Yucaipa’s water.
What Can You Do?
Information about water quality in Yucaipa can be surprising and downright scary.
But there are things you can do in your home to clean up your water.
To Remove Lead and Other Contaminants In Your Home:
There is one solution that beats Brita, PUR, and expensive whole house systems.
- It costs less per gallon.
- Needs fewer filter changes.
- And it doesn’t make your water taste weird.
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out at least 82.1% of contaminants in your drinking water. (Berkey Light and Travel Berkey are the only types available in California.)
- Berkey filters can also remove up to 99.99% of Lead in Yucaipa water.
- Brita can filter 16 contaminants and Lead depending on the filter.
- This does not include Arsenic, Barium, Hexavalent Chromium, or Uranium.
- Note: We may receive a commission if you decide to purchase filters through links on this page.
- To filter out 27 of the 30 contaminants in your whole house, consider a reverse osmosis water filtration system.
- These are typically more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but can much more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- Arsenic – found in pesticides and herbicides
- Chloroform – powerful anesthetic/sedative
- Chromium (hexavalent)
- Haloacetic acids – HAA5 and HAA9
- Tetrachloroethylene – dry-cleaning fluid
- Total trihalomethanes – chlorination byproduct
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: https://yucaipa.org/government/ to find contact information for your local officials.