Yuba City, California
What is the Water Quality in Yuba City, California?
Compared to other US cities, Yuba City water quality ranks in the lower-middle range for contamination excluding Lead.
Most of their 18 contaminants have cancer-causing attributes.
- Arsenic is at very high levels: 42x health guidelines.
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) are at extremely high levels: 294x health guidelines.
- Haloacetic acids (HAA9) are at extremely high levels: 479x health guidelines.
- These are both byproducts of the chlorine treatment process most water supplies go through.
Let’s look closer at what’s in Yuba City water.
What’s in Yuba City water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Arsenic – Potential effect: Cancer
- Bromodichloromethane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Chloroform – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 18 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
10 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
Does Yuba City have Lead contamination?
Yes, Yuba City has lead in its water. The most recent Lead samples collected from 2014 through 2016 showed concentrations up to 2.3 parts per billion (ppb).
The legal limit for lead is 15 parts per billion. Being well-below this level is a good thing.
- Concentrations between 3.8 ppb and 15 ppb put a formula-fed baby at risk of elevated blood lead levels. Read more about the symptoms of Lead in water.
There is no safe level of lead for humans.
- The good news is that 99.99% of the lead can be removed.
See the What Can You Do? section below to learn how to filter out contaminants.
Where does Yuba City’s water come from?
Yuba City’s water comes from the Gilsizer Slough – Snake River watershed.
All 8 EPA assessed water sources in the Gilsizer Slough – Snake River watershed are in Impaired or Unknown condition. These include:
- Butte Slough
- Gilsizer Slough
- Live Oak Slough
- Morrison Slough
- Snake River
- Sutter Bypass
- Wadsworth Canal
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition.
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of these uses:
- Drinking Water
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Yuba City’s water.
What Can You Do?
Information about water quality in Yuba City can be surprising.
But there are things you can do in your home to clean up your water.
To Remove Lead and Other Contaminants In Your Home:
There is one solution that beats Brita, PUR, and expensive whole house systems.
- It costs less per gallon.
- Needs fewer filter changes.
- And it doesn’t make your water taste weird.
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out at least 85% of contaminants in your drinking water. (Berkey Light and Travel Berkey are the only types available in California.)
- To filter out 16 of the 18 contaminants (88.9%), consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your whole house.
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: https://www.yubacity.net/ to find contact information for your local officials.