What is the Water Quality in Tamarac, Florida?
Compared to other US cities, Tamarac water quality ranks in the mower-middle range for contamination excluding Lead.
Most of their 15 contaminants have cancer-causing attributes.
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) are at extremely high levels: 281x health guidelines.
- Haloacetic acids (HAA9) are at extremely high levels: 569x health guidelines.
- These are both byproducts of the chlorine treatment process most water supplies go through.
Let’s look closer at what’s in Tamarac water.
What’s in Tamarac water?
Here are the top 4 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids (HAA9) – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
These are four of the 15 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
These 4 contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
Does Tamarac have Lead contamination?
Yes, Tamarac has lead in its water. The most recent Lead samples collected in 2017 showed concentrations up to 3.0 parts per billion (ppb).
The legal limit for lead is 15 parts per billion. Being well-below this level is a good thing.
- Concentrations between 3.8 ppb and 15 ppb put a formula-fed baby at risk of elevated blood lead levels. Read more about the symptoms of Lead in water.
There is no safe level of lead for humans.
- The good news is that 99.99% of the lead can be removed.
See the What Can You Do? section below to learn how to filter out contaminants.
Where does Tamarac’s water come from?
Tamarac’s water comes from the Cypress Creek Canal watershed.
There are no assessed water sources in the Cypress Creek Canal watershed.
Ideally, a water source would be Known and rated in Good condition.
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of these uses:
- Drinking Water
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Tamarac’s water.
What Can You Do?
Information about water quality in Tamarac can be surprising.
But there are things you can do in your home to clean up your water.
To Remove Lead and Other Contaminants In Your Home:
There is one solution that beats Brita, PUR, and expensive whole house systems.
- It costs less per gallon.
- Needs fewer filter changes.
- And it doesn’t make your water taste weird.
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out at least 75% of contaminants in your drinking water.
- To filter out 13 of the 15 contaminants, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your house.
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: https://www.tamarac.org/27/Government to find contact information for your local officials.