New Britain, Connecticut
Water Quality in New Britain, Connecticut
Watershed: Piper Brook – Park River
What is the water quality like in New Britain, CT?
Let’s dive deeper into what’s in New Britain water.
What’s in your water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Bromodichloromethane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Chloroform – Potential effect: Cancer
- Dibromochloromethane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 20 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
7 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
See the What Can You Do? section below for all of the contaminants you can filter out and how to do it.
Where does New Britain’s water come from?
New Britain’s water comes from the Piper Brook – Park River watershed.
Six of the eight EPA assessed water sources in the Piper Brook – Park River watershed are in Impaired condition. These include:
- Batterson Park Pond
- Park River
- Piper Brook – two sections
- South Branch Park River – two sections
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition. Bass Brook and Mill Pond are in Good condition.
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of these uses:
- Drinking Water
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve New Britain’s water.
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality can be surprising.
But there’s no reason to lose hope. There are things you can do in your household as well as things you can do at a community level.
In Your Household:
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out 16 of the 20 contaminants in your drinking water.
- To filter out 18 of the 20 contaminants, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your house.
- These are more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but can be more effective at filtering out cancer-causing contaminants.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: http://www.newbritainct.gov/ to find contact information for your local officials.