Missouri City, Texas
Water Quality in Missouri City, Texas
Watershed: Upper Sims Bayou
What is the water quality like in Missouri City, TX?
Let’s dive deeper into what’s in Missouri City water.
What’s in your water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Arsenic – Potential effect: Cancer
- Chlorite – Potential effect: Change in blood chemistry
- Haloacetic acids – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Radium – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 20 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
12 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
See the What Can You Do? section below for all of the contaminants you can filter out and how to do it.
Where does Missouri City’s water come from?
Missouri City’s water comes from the Upper Sims Bayou watershed.
All 5 EPA assessed water sources in the Upper Sims Bayou watershed are in Impaired condition. These include:
- Canal C-147
- Sims Bayou Above Tidal – multiple sections
- An unnamed tributary of Sims Bayou
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition.
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of these uses:
- Drinking Water
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Missouri City’s water.
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality can be surprising.
But there’s no reason to lose hope. There are things you can do in your household as well as things you can do at a community level.
In Your Household:
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out 15 of the 20 contaminants in your drinking water.
- To filter out all 20 contaminants, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your house.
- These are more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but can be more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- Arsenic – health risks
- Atrazine – herbicide
- Barium – health risks
- Bromochloroacetic acid
- Bromodichloromethane – health risks
- Chloroform – health risks
- Chromium (total)
- Cyanide – health risks
- Haloacetic acids – chlorination byproduct*
- Hexavalent chromium
- Selenium – health risks
- Simazine – herbicide
- Total trihalomethanes – byproduct of chlorination*
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: http://www.missouricitytx.gov/ to find contact information for your local officials.