What is the Water Quality in Euless, Texas?
Compared to other US cities, Euless water quality ranks in the high range for contamination excluding Lead.
Most of their 29 contaminants have cancer-causing attributes.
- Radium is at high levels: 15x health guidelines.
Let’s look closer at what’s in Euless water.
What’s in Euless water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Bromodichloromethane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Chloroform – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) – Potential effect: Cancer
- Radium – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 29 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
11 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
Does Euless have Lead contamination?
Yes, Euless has lead in its water. The most recent Lead samples collected in 2017 showed concentrations up to 1.6 parts per billion (ppb).
The legal limit for lead is 15 parts per billion. Being well-below this level is a good thing.
- Concentrations between 3.8 ppb and 15 ppb put a formula-fed baby at risk of elevated blood lead levels. Read more about the symptoms of Lead in water.
There is no safe level of lead for humans.
- The good news is that 99.99% of the lead can be filtered out.
See the What Can You Do? section below to learn how to filter out contaminants.
Where does Euless’s water come from?
Euless’s water comes from the Johnson Creek – West Fork Trinity River watershed.
The only water source in the Johnson Creek – West Fork Trinity River watershed is in Impaired condition. This is the Lower West Fork of the Trinity River.
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition.
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Euless’s water.
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality in Euless can be surprising.
But there’s no reason to lose hope. There are things you can do in your home as well as things you can do at a community level.
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out at least 86% of contaminants in your drinking water.
- To filter out 27 of the 29 contaminants in your whole house, consider a Pentair water filtration system for your home.
- These are typically more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but are much more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- Chloroform – precursor to refrigerants; powerful anesthetic and sedative when inhaled or ingested
- Chromium (hexavalent)
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5 and HAA9) – common byproducts of chlorine treatment linked to cancer over time.
- Monobromoacetic acid – Used in pharmaceuticals
- Total trihalomethanes – common byproducts of chlorine treatment linked to cancer over time.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: https://www.eulesstx.gov/ to find contact information for your local officials.