What is the Water Quality in Bentonville, Arkansas?
Compared to other US cities, Bentonville water quality ranks in the middle range for contamination excluding Lead.
Most of their 24 contaminants have cancer-causing attributes.
- Chloroform is at extremely high levels: 99x health guidelines.
Let’s look closer at what’s in Bentonville water.
What’s in Bentonville water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Bromodichloromethane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Chlorite – Potential effect: Change in blood chemistry
- Chloroform – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 24 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
12 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
Does Bentonville have Lead contamination?
Yes, Bentonville has lead in its water. The most recent Lead samples collected from 2017 through 2019 showed concentrations up to 3.0 parts per billion.
The legal limit for lead is 15 parts per billion. Being well-below this level is a good thing.
- Concentrations between 3.8 ppb and 15 ppb put a formula-fed baby at risk of elevated blood lead levels. Read more about the symptoms of Lead in water.
There is no safe level of lead for humans.
- The good news is that 99.99% of the lead can be filtered out.
See the What Can You Do? section below to learn how to filter out contaminants.
Where does Bentonville’s water come from?
Bentonville’s water comes from the McKisic Creek – Little Sugar Creek watershed.
All 4 water sources in the McKisic Creek – Little Sugar Creek watershed are in Good condition. These include:
- Little Sugar
- McKisic Creek
- Town Branch
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition.
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Bentonville’s water.
What Can You Do?
Information about water quality in Bentonville can be surprising.
But there are things you can do in your home to clean up your water.
To Remove Lead and Other Contaminants In Your Home:
There is one solution that beats Brita, PUR, and expensive whole house systems.
- It costs less per gallon.
- Needs fewer filter changes.
- And it doesn’t make your water taste weird.
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out at least 77% of contaminants in your drinking water.
- Berkey filters can also remove up to 99.99% of Lead in Bentonville water.
- Brita can filter 12 of 24 contaminants and Lead depending on the filter.
- Note: We may receive a commission if you decide to purchase filters through links on this page.
- To filter out 20 of the 24 contaminants, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your house.
- These are typically more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but are much more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- Chromium (hexavalent)
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: https://www.bentonvillear.com/27/Government to find contact information for your local officials.