Water Quality in Anaheim, California
Watershed: Anaheim Bay
What is the water quality like in Anaheim, CA?
Let’s dive deeper into what’s in Anaheim water.
What’s in Anaheim water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Bromodichloromethane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Chloroform – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 32 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
17 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
See the What Can You Do? section below for all of the contaminants you can filter out and how to do it.
Where does Anaheim’s water come from?
Anaheim’s water comes from the Anaheim Bay watershed.
13 of the 15 EPA assessed water sources in the Anaheim Bay watershed are in Impaired or Unknown condition. These include:
- Anaheim Bay
- Bolsa Bay Marsh
- Bolsa Chica Channel, Bolca Chica Ecological Reserve, Bolsa Chica State Beach
- East Garden Grove Wintersburg Channel
- Huntington Harbour
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition. These are in Good condition:
- Anaheim Bay Marsh
- Huntington City Beach
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of these uses:
- Drinking Water
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Anaheim’s water.
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality can be surprising.
But there’s no reason to lose hope. There are things you can do in your household as well as things you can do at a community level.
In Your Household:
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out 24 of the 32 contaminants in your drinking water. (Berkey Light and Travel Berkey are the only types available in California.)
- To filter out 28 of the 32 contaminants, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your house.
- These are more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but can be more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- 1,4-Dioxane – “Exposure may cause damage to the central nervous system, liver and kidneys.”
- Barium – In low doses, barium ions act as a muscle stimulant, and higher doses affect the nervous system, causing cardiac irregularities, tremors, weakness, anxiety, shortness of breath, and paralysis.
- Bromodichloromethane – health risks in drinking water
- Chloroform – side effects
- Chromium (total)
- Dibromoacetic acid
- Dichloroacetic acid
- Haloacetic acids – chlorination byproduct*
- Hexavalent chromium – health effects
- Total trihalomethanes – byproduct of chlorination*
- Trichloroacetic acid
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: http://www.anaheim.net/ to find contact information for your local officials.