Do Berkey Filters Remove Lead?
Yes! Berkey filters are effective at removing lead from drinking water.
Berkey filters can remove greater than 99.9% of lead in water.
This is true for each of these models:
- Big Berkey removes lead.
- Travel Berkey removes lead.
- Imperial Berkey removes lead.
- Crown Berkey removes lead.
- Royal Berkey removes lead.
- Berkey Light removes lead.
Find Out What’s in Your Water
Most water supplies have some amount of Lead in them.
Lead piping was used to create the majority of water infrastructure over fifty years ago.
For example, here are a few cities and their lead concentrations:
- Portland, Oregon – 52.4 parts per billion
- Detroit, Michigan – 4.4 parts per billion
- Boston, Massachusetts – 12.7 parts per billion
It can be surprising how much lead is in a system. Especially when you consider the legal limits for lead:
- A water system can have up to 15 parts per billion before a government is legally required to take steps to correct it.
- At 3.9 parts per billion, you can start seeing lead poisoning symptoms in children under 6.
There is no safe amount of lead in drinking water.
Want to know what other contaminants are in your water?
You can search by state: