Water Quality in Westminster, California
Watershed: Anaheim Bay
What is the water quality like in Westminster, CA?
Let’s dive deeper into what’s in Westminster water.
What’s in Westminster water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Arsenic – Potential effect: Cancer
- Bromodichloromethane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 23 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
13 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
See the What Can You Do? section below for all of the contaminants you can filter out and how to do it.
Where does Westminster’s water come from?
Westminster’s water comes from the Anaheim Bay watershed.
13 of the 15 EPA assessed water sources in the Anaheim Bay watershed are in Impaired or Unknown condition. These include:
- Anaheim Bay
- Bolsa Bay Marsh
- Bolsa Chica Channel, Bolsa Chica Ecological Reserve, and Bolsa Chica State Beach
- Chris Carr Park Lake
- East Garden Grove Wintersburg Channel
- Fishers Gulch Pond
- Greer Park Lake
- Huntington Harbour
- Huntington Lake
- Talbert Lake
- Westminster Channel
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition. Anaheim Bay Marsh and Huntington City Beach are in Good condition.
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of these uses:
- Drinking Water
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Westminster’s water.
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality can be surprising.
But there’s no reason to lose hope. There are things you can do in your household as well as things you can do at a community level.
In Your Household:
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out 18 of the 23 contaminants in your drinking water. (Berkey Light and Travel Berkey are the only types available in California.)
- Berkey filters can also remove up to 99.99% of Lead in Westminster water.
- Brita can filter 10 (and Lead depending on the filter).
- Note: We may receive a commission if you decide to purchase filters through links on this page.
- To filter out 20 of the 23 contaminants, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your house.
- These are more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but can be more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- Arsenic – health risks
- Barium – health risks in water
- Bromodichloromethane – health risks in drinking water
- Chloroform – side effects
- Dibromoacetic acid
- Dichloroacetic acid
- Haloacetic acids – chlorination byproduct*
- Hexavalent chromium – health effects
- Total trihalomethanes – byproduct of chlorination*
- Trichloroacetic acid
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: https://www.westminster-ca.gov/ to find contact information for your local officials.