South Gate, California
Water Quality in South Gate, California
Watershed: Compton Creek – Los Angeles River
What is the water quality like in South Gate, CA?
Let’s dive deeper into what’s in South Gate water.
What’s in South Gate water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Arsenic – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
- Uranium – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 27 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
13 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
Where does South Gate’s water come from?
South Gate’s water comes from the Compton Creek – Los Angeles River watershed.
All 6 EPA assessed water sources in the Compton Creek – Los Angeles River watershed are in Impaired or Unknown condition. These include:
- Avalon Drain
- Compton Creek – two segments
- Los Angeles River Estuary, Reach 1, and Reach 2
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition.
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of these uses:
- Drinking Water
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve South Gate’s water.
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality can be surprising.
In Your Household:
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out 24 of the 27 contaminants in your drinking water. (Berkey Light and Travel Berkey are the only types available in California.)
- To filter out 25 of the 27 contaminants, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your house.
- These are more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but can be more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- Arsenic – health risks
- Barium – health risks in water
- Bromodichloromethane – health risks in drinking water
- Chloroform – side effects
- Chromium (total)
- Dibromoacetic acid
- Dichloroacetic acid
- Haloacetic acids – chlorination byproduct*
- Hexavalent chromium – health effects
- Monobromoacetic acid
- Monochloroacetic acid
- Total trihalomethanes – byproduct of chlorination*
- Trichloroacetic acid
In Your Community:
Go to: http://www.cityofsouthgate.org/ to find contact information for your local officials.