Water Quality in Melbourne, Florida
Watershed: Eau Gullie River
What is the water quality like in Melbourne, FL?
Let’s dive deeper into what’s in Melbourne water.
What’s in Melbourne water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Arsenic – Potential effect: Cancer
- Chlorate – Potential effect: Harm to the thyroid
- Haloacetic acids – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 11 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
6 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
See the What Can You Do? section below for all of the contaminants you can filter out and how to do it.
Where does Melbourne’s water come from?
Melbourne’s water comes from the Eau Gallie River watershed.
18 of the 21 EPA assessed water sources in the Eau Gallie River watershed are in Impaired or Unknown condition. These include:
- Atlantic Ocean (Brevard County) – multiple sections
- Banana River – multiple sections
- Crane Creek
- Eau Gallie River
- Elbow Creek
- Horse Creek
- Indian River – multiple sections
- Newfound Harbor
- Sykes Creek
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition. Cocoa Beach, Indialantic Boardwalk, and Paradise Beach are in Good condition.
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of these uses:
- Drinking Water
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Melbourne’s water.
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality can be surprising.
But there’s no reason to lose hope. There are things you can do in your household as well as things you can do at a community level.
In Your Household:
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out 9 of the 11 contaminants in your drinking water.
- To filter out 9 of the 11 contaminants in your whole house, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your home.
- These are more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but can be more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: https://www.melbourneflorida.org/ to find contact information for your local officials.