Water Quality in Downey, California
Watershed: Alamitos Bay
What is the water quality like in Downey, CA?
Let’s dive deeper into what’s in Downey water.
What’s in Downey water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- 1,4-Dioxane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Arsenic – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Uranium – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 22 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
8 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
See the What Can You Do? section below for all of the contaminants you can filter out and how to do it.
Where does Downey’s water come from?
Downey’s water comes from the Alamitos Bay watershed.
All 4 EPA assessed water sources in the Alamitos Bay watershed are in Impaired or Unknown condition. These include:
- Alamitos Bay
- Colorado Lagoon
- Los Cerritos Channel
- Los Cerritos Estuary
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition.
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of these uses:
- Drinking Water
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Downey’s water.
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality can be surprising.
But there’s no reason to lose hope. There are things you can do in your household as well as things you can do at a community level.
In Your Household:
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out 17 of the 22 contaminants in your drinking water. This includes PFOS. (Berkey Light and Travel Berkey are the only types available in California.)
- To filter out 18 of the 22 contaminants, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your house.
- These are more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but can be more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- 1,4-Dioxane – “Exposure may cause damage to the central nervous system, liver and kidneys.”
- Arsenic – health risks
- Barium – health risks in water
- Chloroform – side effects
- Chromium (total)
- Hexavalent chromium – health effects
- PFOS – effects
- Total trihalomethanes – byproduct of chlorination*
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: https://www.downeyca.org/ to find contact information for your local officials.