Daly City, California
Water Quality in Daly City, California
Watershed: San Pedro Creek – Frontal Pacific Ocean
What is the water quality like in Daly City, CA?
Let’s dive deeper into what’s in Daly City water.
What’s in Daly City water?
Here are the top 5 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Bromodichloromethane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Chloroform – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
These are five of the 19 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
9 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
See the What Can You Do? section below for all of the contaminants you can filter out and how to do it.
Where does Daly City’s water come from?
Daly City’s water comes from the San Pedro Creek – Frontal Pacific Ocean watershed.
6 of the 17 EPA assessed water sources in the San Pedro Creek – Frontal Pacific Ocean watershed are in Impaired or Unknown condition. These include:
- Lake Merced
- Pacific Ocean at:
- Fort Funston
- Mussel Rock Park
- Pacifica State/Linda Mar Beach
- San Pedro Creek
- Vista Grande Canal
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Good condition. These are in Good condition:
- Calera Creek
- Golden Gate Park Lakes
- Pacific Ocean at:
- Ocean Beach – 6 segments
- Rockaway Beach
- Sharp Beach
- Sanchez Creek
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of these uses:
- Drinking Water
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Daly City’s water.
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality can be surprising.
But there’s no reason to lose hope. There are things you can do in your household as well as things you can do at a community level.
In Your Household:
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out 18 of the 19 contaminants (57.9%) in your drinking water. (Berkey Light and Travel Berkey are the only types available in California.)
- Berkey filters can also remove up to 99.99% of Lead in Daly City water.
- Brita can filter 11 contaminants (and Lead depending on the filter).
- Note: We may receive a commission if you decide to purchase filters through links on this page.
- To filter out 16 of the 19 contaminants in your whole house, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your home.
- These are more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but can be more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- Bromodichloromethane – health risks in drinking water
- Chloroform – side effects
- Chromium (total)
- Dibromoacetic acid
- Dichloroacetic acid
- Haloacetic acids – chlorination byproduct*
- Hexavalent chromium – health effects
- Monobromoacetic acid
- Monochloroacetic acid
- Total trihalomethanes – byproduct of chlorination*
- Trichloroacetic acid
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: http://www.dalycity.org/ to find contact information for your local officials.