Water Quality in Sunrise, Florida
Watershed: Middle River Canal
What is the water quality like in Sunrise, FL?
Let’s dive deeper into what’s in Sunrise water.
What’s in Sunrise water?
Here are the top 4 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Chlorate – Potential effect: Harm to the thyroid
- Haloacetic acids – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
These are four of the 13 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
These 4 contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
See the What Can You Do? section below for all of the contaminants you can filter out and how to do it.
Where does Sunrise’s water come from?
Sunrise’s water comes from the Middle River Canal watershed.
There are no EPA assessed water sources in the Middle River Canal watershed.
Ideally, a water source would be Known, Assessed, and rated in Good condition.
Whether a water source is in Impaired or Good condition refers to the quality of these uses:
- Drinking Water
- Aquatic Life
- Fish and Shellfish Consumption
Learn more from How’s My Waterway
See below for what you can do to improve Sunrise’s water.
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality can be surprising.
But there’s no reason to lose hope. There are things you can do in your household as well as things you can do at a community level.
In Your Household:
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out 11 of the 13 contaminants in your drinking water.
- Berkey filters can also remove up to 99.99% of Lead in Sunrise water.
- Brita can filter 2 (and Lead depending on the filter).
- You can’t filter out Chlorate with a pitcher. Chlorate has been known to cause thyroid issues.
- Berkey filters can also remove up to 99% of Lead in Sunrise water.
- Note: We may receive a commission if you decide to purchase filters through links on this page
- To filter out 11 of the 13 contaminants in your whole house, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your home.
- These are more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but can be more effective.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- Barium – health risks in water
- Haloacetic acids – chlorination byproduct*
- Hexavalent chromium – health effects
- Selenium – health risks
- Total trihalomethanes – byproduct of chlorination*
*Chlorination is an effective method of disinfecting/treating drinking water. You can then use a water filter to reduce the effects of chlorination byproducts to get the safest, cleanest water possible.
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: https://www.sunrisefl.gov/ to find contact information for your local officials.