Water Quality in Placentia, California
What is the water quality in Placentia?
Compared to other US cities over 50,000, Placentia water quality ranks in the mid range for contamination excluding Lead.
Most of their 28 contaminants have cancer-causing attributes.
Let’s look closer at what’s in Placentia water.
What’s in Placentia water?
Here are the top 6 chemical compounds in your water and what health issues they can potentially cause:
- Bromodichloromethane – Potential effect: Cancer
- Bromoform – Potential effect: Cancer
- Chloroform – Potential effect: Cancer
- Hexavalent Chromium – Potential effect: Cancer
- Haloacetic acids (HAA5) – Potential effect: Cancer
- Total trihalomethanes – Potential effect: Cancer
These are six of the 28 contaminants analyzed by the Environmental Working Group (ewg.org).
15 of these contaminants are rated as exceeding EWG Health Guidelines.
Does Placentia have Lead contamination?
No, Placentia does not currently have lead in its water. The most recent Lead samples collected in 2019 showed concentrations of 0.0 parts per billion.
The legal limit for lead is 15 parts per billion. Being well-below this level is a good thing.
Concentrations between 3.8 ppb and 15 ppb put a formula-fed baby at risk of elevated blood lead levels. Read more about the symptoms of Lead in water.
There is no safe level of lead for humans.
The good news is that 99.99% of the lead can be filtered out.
See the What Can You Do? section below for the contaminants you can filter out and how to do it.
Where does Placentia’s water come from?
Placentia’s water comes from the Carbon Creek watershed.
The Carbon Creek watershed is in Unknown condition.
Ideally, a water source would be rated in Known and Good condition. See below for what you can do to improve Placentia’s water.
Learn more from How’s My Waterway here
Conclusion – What Can You Do?
Information about water quality in Placentia can be surprising and downright scary.
But there’s no reason to lose hope. There are things you can do in your household as well as things you can do at a community level.
- Use Berkey filters with activated carbon to filter out at least 77.8% of contaminants in Placentia drinking water. (Berkey Light and Travel Berkey are the only types available in California.)
- Berkey filters can also remove up to 99.99% of Lead in Placentia water.
- Brita can filter 14 contaminants and Lead depending on the filter.
- Note: We may receive a commission if you decide to purchase filters through links on this page.
- To filter out 25 of the 28 contaminants, consider a Reverse Osmosis water filtration system for your house.
- These are typically more expensive than pitchers to purchase, but may require fewer filter changes over time.
- They have the benefit of filtering out heavy hitters like:
- Chromium (hexavalent)
In Your Community:
Contact your local government officials and put pressure on them to invest in cleaner waterways and upgraded city water filtration and treatment.
Go to: http://www.placentia.org/27/Government to find contact information for your local officials.